Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler) Review!

So... I promised a review on Black Butler :) I'm going to follow up on that promise. Keep in mind that I am not completely caught up! I am only through Volume 5 or so.


Summary from MF
Within the noble families of England exists Phantomhive's butler: Sebastian Michaelis. He has unquestionably perfect knowledge, manners and martial arts as well as talents in every other area imaginable. Sebastian is so perfect, though he is forever destined to meet the needs of a 12 year old master (later 13). Wearing a black tailcoat whilst gracefully brewing the world's strongest red tea, how is it possible that such a perfect butler is able to cope with such a demanding master?

The secrets of Sebastian and his cunning young master Ciel slowly unfold as tragic and unexpected cases make their appearance.


Artwork: 10/10
I LOVE IT! I love that this series is shounen drawn by a female author. I actually really love shounen manga, but the one thing that bars me from reading it is the artwork, and this is gorgeous. I love that it is also historical fiction, so the costumes and setting and everything are just excellent! It's cute, yet has the typical action of shounen.
Plot: 9/10
Okay, besides it being about the Victorian age, which is excellent, I really am interested by the premise of this manga. I really enjoy the cases, and the mangaka does superb research on the subjects. It's amazing how in depth and detailed her work goes. I love how she combines fantasy, action, mystery, and historical fiction into one believable, excellently written story. Terrific work! However, sometimes the cases are a little disbelievable, which is not really a word, but you know what I mean, right?
Characters: 10/10
You can definitely tell this is shounen written by a woman. Sebastian is excellently hot all the time, and Ciel is so cute. I think the thing I like most about the characters is that they are complex. Though I am not very far (so I do not know so many secrets), I think that each and every character has a backstory that makes sense. Excellent there.
Overall Appeal: 9/10
I love this series a lot. I love how the mangaka is clever and witty, and her character's little idiosyncrasies are portrayed in such a hilarious way. Overall, love, love, love this series, would highly recommend it, and I can't wait to finish reading it. The story is constructed in such a brilliant fashion, and the characters are so endearing, and nice to look at as well. If you haven't already, check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment