Friday, March 11, 2011

Think of Japan--Please Read

I'm sure many of you have heard about the destruction caused by the recent earthquake and resulting tsunami in Japan. I'm not sure if any Japanese people read this blog (given that they already have tons of manga even without English translations), but I sincerely hope that you are all safe, and not only those who live in Japan because I know the earthquake was felt by a lot more people who live in that area.

Even over here, on the West coast of the United States, many people are afraid for aftershocks (though I do think we're okay). I was going to ask you to donate to the cause here, so that the readers of this blog could put together a nice sum together in exchange for my working harder a bit by putting out chapters, but I have recently read this. So instead of texting whatever to the Red Cross, I'm thinking donating to Americares, which according to this, has a pre-existing commitment to Japan. I would also love it if I could raise money to donate to Doctors Without Borders.

So please, if you have any money at all to spare, even spare change, please donate. Though natural disasters are truly a devastating thing, it also represents an opportunity for people of all places in the world to remember what it is to be commonly human. It may be too idealistic for me to expect that wars will stop and we will all work together in a united goal, but I do know that we can do what we can in disasters. I know that not all of you may have money to spare, but even a little bit would be very helpful. I have 56 followers on the blog, and probably more regular readers as well. Even if you can't manage the $10 that the Red Cross is asking for, a dollar would help once we pool our resources.

I will probably choose between Americare and Doctors Without Borders. If you have a preference, please let me know.

I am well aware that many of you will simply ignore this message, but for those of you who do, thank you.

You can send your money with Paypal to purplehippo1095@gmail.com. I would like to keep a list of donors (to keep the accounts straight), so if you would like to remain anonymous, please make a note of that. If you would like to be named, please include a name. Paypal does automatically convert foreign currency, in case you don't know. This will make donating easier on my international readers.

If you don't have Paypal, it's easy to sign up for one, but if you really can't, then please let me know, and I will see if there is anything we can do :)

If you would like to find out more about the quake, here's CNN footage.

No comments:

Post a Comment